Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Salutations!

Greetings to all those who may find themselves reading this post, and hopefully future posts on my newly established blog, Humus & Peat-a. Now, you may be saying to yourself, "Well that's a ridiculous name! He spelled hummus wrong and who is this Peat A. fellow?!" So, in an effort to clear up any misunderstandings about the title of my blog, it is the result of the long and arduous task of finding a clever name that reflects both my interests and my personality.

Let's break it down like this: I like food. I like all kinds of food and foods of various cultures. I especially like Middle Eastern food (hummus and pita included). I also am quite fond of humus (that lovely smelling earthy stuff you find on the ground) and bogs, for they contain sphagnum peat moss (the stuff that makes up the squishy ground upon which you walk in a bog). So I've established three important aspects about my blog's name. It represents my love of healthy, cultured food, my interests in the environment as a wetland restoration ecologist, and my enjoyment of ridiculously silly word play.

I must not fail to mention that these topics are not all you'll read about in this blog either. Topics I will most likely discuss include, but are not limited to: coffee, food, music, computers, technology and design, photography, stop motion videography, gardening, bicycling, camping, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, indigenous culture/land management, nature, household chemical alternatives, frugal living, DIY projects, science, politics, and my friends. So, I look forward to posting many more blog entries that you, the reader, may find somewhat interesting and maybe, at times, a little inspiring.

6 comments:

  1. woo! first comment...better make this good...

    This is mossome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I went searching for it and could not find it! Did you close down your other one? It says you made a post last night, but the address for it doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you have a blog!

    I look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I look forward to writing things that you may enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the food thing. One of my best friends is from Peru, and her family always invites me over to have the most delicious food.

    Today I tried ceviche for the first time, and if you've never had that you need to look it up. I'm also very fond of flan and empanadas, but have no experience with Middle Eastern cuisine!

    I need to change that.

    Oh, food. What is better?

    Anyway, when I first saw this blog I thought it would be exclusively devoted to environmental issues, and I'm glad to see that that's not so.

    Reading about people is great fun, and you seem like an extremely interesting one!

    P.S.

    I am a sushi fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why thank you BlackenedBoy!

    Cultured food is an incredible thing for people to experience. About the ceviche, it sounds like it would be great, but surprisingly I don't really like seafood. I used to eat it all the time, but about six or so years ago, I stopped. It doesn't appeal to me anymore and it makes me sad. I wish I could enjoy an entire platter of sushi, but I can't. I have tried sushi despite my distaste for seafood, and I liked the roll I tried that was mainly crab.

    You should definitely get on trying Middle Eastern cuisine. Hummus, tabouleh, baba gannush, baklava, are all amazing! Flavorful and healthy. I make baklava every so often and everyone I know loves it. It was quite a dish to tackle at first because you're working with forty or so paper thin sheets of dough...it's crazy!

    Yes, if I were to make posts solely about environmental issues, it would become very dull, monotonous, and redundant because everyone knows quite a bit about that. I want to post about anything and everything that interests me.

    ReplyDelete